|Green Bay Packers(5-8)
Jacksonville Jaguars (4-9)
December, 14th 2008
|Time:||1 p.m. ET
||Stadium:||Jacksonvillle Municipal Stadium
||High 60, Windy
|SBN Coverage:||Acme Packing Company||Coverage Map
||Click here if you want to get depressed|
Well just as I said CBS must have been kicking themselves last week for using one of their protections on the Jags/Bears game, the NFL must be kicking themselves for putting them game on the Flex Watch list. One paper at the beginning of the season, this looked like a sure fire hit. The Packers almost certainly were going to repeat as division champs in the woeful NFC North, and it looked like the Jaguars would overtake the Colts in the AFC South. Hell, if they were lucky, we would have a Super Bowl preview on our hands. I'm sure theres some quote from Greek mythology had I not slept through Freshmen English I could use here about the fates being a cruel deciever of man. Currently the Jaguars are 1-5 at home, and unless they win their next two games, will have the worst home record in franchise history.
Things to Watch For: Jacksonville Jaguars
1. Maurice Jones Drew: No doubt about it now, with Fred on IR, MJD is the unquestioned feature back. Let's see how he takes the role and maybe see how he can go through a few games with 20+ carries.
2. Derrick Harvey/Quentin Groves: What's this, flashes of why they were basicly our 2008 draft?! Be nice to see one of them explode and have a coming out party and get momentum heading into next year.
3. The Matt Jones effect: With Matt Jones done for the year, will David Garrard have another completition to a WR all season? Or maybe should we even just give Paul Johnson at Georgia Tech a call and go old school Triple Option.
4. Who wants a roster spot in 2009: Anyone who read Vic's blog last week knows atleast 3-4 times he mentioned the WRs were dogging it. These next few weeks are the unofficial beginning of Training Camp 2009.
5. Making the Home fans happy: As I said, the Jaguars are 1-5 at home the year with some absolutely gut wrenching losses. A win over Green Bay would be a nice early Christmas present.
What to watch for: Green Bay Packers
1. Packing it in: While the Packers are still mathematically in the NFC North race, that's like saying there's a mathematical chance an alien shows up at my apartment tonight to show me how to build a time machine.
2. Defense?: The Pack rank 23rd in total defense, including 23rd against the run. They'll need to sure up against MJD.
3. Lambeau South?: Early reports are, much like Pittsburgh earlier, there will be alot of Cheese heads in "The Jack" Sunday. Can the Packers use this to their advantage?
4. Ryan Grant: A terrific find and a testament to "You find players where you find players." He needs 20 yards for a thousand on the season and will need to be contained for a Jaguars victory.
5. Force the Jaguars into mistakes: Since the Titans games, every Jaguars opponent has held at least a 10 point lead at the end of the first quarter. The Packers are +7 in takeaways and a quick turnover to force a double digit lead early could clinch it.
Player on the Hot Seat:
Maurice Jones-Drew,RB, Jacksonville
Well MJD, you wear 32 because 32 teams didn't think you could be a feature back and passed on you in the first round. Here's your chance to really shut them up. No execuses, no split carries, you'll be the one getting the ball 20 times a game these next three weeks.
Hard to say as both these teams seem to be going through the motions of wanting disappointing seasons to end, but just a gut feeling
Jaguars 23 Packers 17
PS Letting my nerd side out even more for a moment, the 10 Best Games of this year, 10.Pure/Motorstorm:Pacific Rift/Burnout: Paradise(Either one is awesome if you're a fan of arcade racing games), 9.Prince of Persia, 8. Dead Space, 7. Gears of War 2, 6. Resistance 2, 5. Grand Theft Auto 4, 4. Left 4 Dead, 3. Fallout 3, 2. Little Big Planet, 1. Metal Gear Solid 4:Guns of the Patriots