Positive vs. Negative, it permeates our thinking. We see it in the posts, Shack Harris is ok, Shack Harris must go, Derrick Harvey is ok, and Derrick Harvey is a bust. I find these thoughts in my own thinking as I debate with myself. So why not bring it out in the open and debate it online. Let's have a discussion. Here is the first of my Positive/Negative viewpoints starting with Jack Del Rio.
Jack Del Rio is an angel and here's why:
• He turned a 5-11 team around and took them into the play-offs two of the next four years.
• After the turnaround season of 2003, he went 40-24 through 2007.
• He won despite mediocre drafting and lack of star power given him from the front office. He worked miracles.
• He is upbeat optimistic and knows the game well. He is a former pro-bowl player who can relate to players.
• He asks for and demands the best. He never lowers his standard.
• He is honest, smart, and upstanding. He is a good man to the core.
• Now with a good GM, he will show what he can do with good players.
• Jack Del Rio is a top line coach and we are lucky to have him.
Jack Del Rio paints a better picture than he really is:
• Twice, in 2006 and 2008 he lost control and his team fell apart.
• His overall record is 50-46, not inspiring.
• He is engaged in power plays and was instrumental in getting Shack Harris removed.
• He has been right there at the table in every draft and FA decision.
• He won with Tom Coughlin's team.
• He fires more assistant coaches than anyone and deflects blame.
• He is not a man to be trusted or lead a team to a Super Bowl.
So which is it? Is Jack the man or is Jack the part of the problem? I have mixed feelings. What are yours?