Seeing how the "Dead Zone" has overcome most of us on BCC, I figured that I would try and and rank the five best players currently on the squad, which does not include rookies or recent free agent signings.
1. Maurice Jones-Drew: The only consistent playmaker on offense, MJD is critical to the success of the Jaguars. Without him, playoffs are out of the question. However, even he can't do it all by himself, and the Jags need another player to step up behind him.
2. Daryl Smith: Like MJD, Smith was the only consistent playmaker on his side of the ball. In a year of horribly bad defense, Smith played like an All-Pro, and there was no better example of that than the game at Houston, where he stripped and recovered a fumble in the endzone to preserve the win.
3. David Garrard: Despite what some fans say, Garrard is not as horrible as they make him out to be. His stats prove that he is a middle of the pack quarterback, nothing more, nothing less. Nevertheless, this year is an important one for Garrard, since it is likely that the Jags will take a quarterback in the 2011 draft. If Garrard wants to be around in Jacksonville for a few more years, he has to be very good this year.
4. Terrance Knighton: A great draft pick by Gene Smith last year, Knighton was very disruptive despite playing with an ankle injury for most of the year. A year of experience plus a healthy start to the year should make him every offensive lineman's worst "Knightmare."
5. Mike Sims-Walker: MSW finally had the breakout year that fans had been waiting for. MSW had a good year, despite wearing down late in the season. This year, he will be the go-to receiver for Garrard in a young and unproven corps of receivers.
Like it? Hate it? Want to shoot me? Let me know what you think.
Who is the best player NOT named MJD on the Jaguars?
David Garrard (9 votes)
Daryl Smith (47 votes)
Mike Sims-Walker (17 votes)
Rashean Mathis (26 votes)
Terrance Knighton (12 votes)
111 total votes