It is vital that the Gene Smith add impact players around Gabbert. The wide receiving core was mediocre at best. Wide Receiver is a position that the Jaguars will need to address in free agency. With the 7th overall pick in the draft the Jaguars will not have a chance to draft Justin Blackmon and 7 is too high for the other wide receivers in the draft. There are several free agent wide receivers that can help the Jaguars.
Here’s a list of the top potential wide receiver free agents that I can see the Jaguars pursuing.
- DeSean Jackson (PHI) The Eagles will not be bringing back Jackson. Having a down year may have made him a little more affordable. One of the fastest WRs in the NFL he can stretch any defense.
- Dwayne Bowe (KC) Bowe had a subpar season, however he can be a legitimate number one receiver. He is physical and he can get deep.
- Marques Colston (NO) Colston is a big physical WR that is not afraid to go across the middle. Colston runs good routes and doesn’t drop many passes. The Saints will try to resign Colston.
- Robert Meachem (NO) Meachem is a good downfild threat with good hands. I don’t think the Saints will be able to resign Colston and Meachem.
- Mario Manningham (NYG) With Victor Cruz emerging as one of Manning’s favorite targets Manningham is expendable. Manningham is a physical WR that can go deep. Does dorp some balls and get sloppy on his routes.
- Harry Douglas (ATL) Douglas is a solid slot receiver with speed to burn. Playing in Mularky’s offence in Atlanta make him a good prospect for the Jags.
There are other free agent wide receiver options available for the Jaguars. Given Gene Smith’s history I don’t see the Jags going after the head cases like Steve Johnson and Vincent Jackson. The good news for Jaguar fans, is that Shahid Khan wants to make a splash and spend to the cap. What better way to make a splash than signing DeSean Jackson and Mario Manningham?