QB: Blaine Gabbert, Chad Henne 2
FB: Greg Jones, Montell Owens 2
WRZ: Justin Blackmon, Cecil Shorts 2
WRY: Jarett Dillard, Mike Thomas 2
C: Brad Meester, 1
RG: Uche Nwaneri 1
NT: Terrance Knighton, C.J. Mosley 2
(DPR: Julian Stanford, Ryan Davis)
WLB: Clint Sessions, Brandon Marshall 2
SLB: Daryl Smith, Julian Stanford 2
NB: Mike Harris, (Aaron Ross) 1
SS: Dawan Landry 1
Punter: Bryan Anger
Place Kicker: Josh Scobee
PR: (Mike Thomas, Cecil Shorts)
KR: (DuJuan Harris, Aaron Ross)
LS: Jeremy Cain
(Players that have been good core special teamers: Montell Owens, Colin Cloherty(Underrated), Will Middleton, Russell Allen, Kevin Rutland, Zach Miller, Zach Potter)
( I also expect these guys to be good on ST too: Ryan Davis, Julian Stanford, Aaron Ross, Rod Issac, Brandon Marshall, Mike Harris)
Special Teams: 3 (Not including those on Offense or Defense)
Sorry but Someone’s Gotta Go: Richard Murphy, T.J. Heath, Chris Prosinski, Chastin West, Kyle Bosworth, John Estes, Aaron Morgan, Akwasi Owusu-Ansah (Ha… spelled that without looking), George Selvie, D’Anthony Smith, Brock Bolen, Courtney Greene, Brian Robiskie, Morgan Trent, Ashton Youboty)
- I kept 6 WR’s because some of them are injury prone, and we want competition to bring the cream to the top.
- I didn’t keep a lot of offense lineman because after the starters I don’t think most of the guys are part of the best 53. More importantly, if have an injury anywhere, most everyone is cross trained and backup any spot if needed. Also, I believe we can bring back Estes if we need to, and if that’s not possible we can bring up Mike Brewster from the practice Squad.
- 4 TE’s because most of them are good special teamers. Lewis the starter with Potter to be the backup blocker and Miller/Cloherty the receivers. Cloherty can be really good on coverage teams, and he might have the best hands of the group.
- I got a lot of DL’s because of the injury issues and the youth we are trying to develop and weed.
- Julian Stanford is a LB that will need to develop, but he has explosiveness and bend to get around the corner on passing downs. He had a 1.44 10 yard split, which is elite, even in the NFL.(Blows away guys like DeSean Jackson, MJD, Bruce Irvin, Von Miller and forget about defensive linemen.) Not to mention he has a 42.5 inch vert with a great short shuttle and 27 bench reps. He pops on tape, so he wouldn’t last on the PS after the preseason. He really is the Von Miller of the FCS level(Formerly Division 1-AA) Also has a history rushing the passer.
- I cut Prosinski because I don’t think he has the natural ball skills to keep QB’s from going downfield. He also has difficulties being consistent as a tackler. Last, he was given a lot of opportunities on special teams and he never made any plays there when they were there to be made. Still not sure who should be our 3rd safety. But a lot of players can switch there if needed, including: Middleton, Issac, Harris, (And from the practice squad, Antwon Blake)
- I have Mike Thomas as a backup, but he will have packages (Reverses, bubble screens, end-arounds) made especially for him, and he will also see more time on return duties where he’s been pretty good. I’d consider putting him on coverage teams for a while and make him earn respect and use his speed to make some plays there to earn his spot.
- Aaron Kampman is still around because I don’t know what he has in the tank. If healthy he would be one of the top 53 players and a premium position.