While the Jacksonville Jaguars didn't offer up much of a passing game against the Indianapolis Colts, it hilariously enough wound up being the passing game that saved their tail on Sunday. Quarterback Blaine Gabbert placed the pass just about as perfectly as possible to hit Cecil Shorts III in stride.
It was one of those weird passes where if it's about an inch more in front of Shorts it likely falls incomplete, while it it's about and inch close to Shorts, Shorts is likely immediately caught by a defender. It was a throw to the right spot and a great catch by Shorts, catching the back of the football.
Here are some interesting numbers from the game, and where the Jaguars rank in some key categories:
- The Jaguars have the 30th ranked overall offense, with their rushing attack ranked 10th and the passing attack ranked 30th.
- On the defensive side of the ball, the Jaguars rank 28th overall with the 30th ranked rushing defense and the 21st ranked pass defense.
- Cecil Shorts III has five catches for 154 yards and two touchdowns, compared to his rookie season total of two catches for 30 yards and a touchdown.
- The Jaguars still do not have a sack from their defensive ends on the season.
- Blaine Gabbert has yet to throw an interception and the Jaguars only turnovers on the season are from two botched snaps, one from Gabbert and one from Chad Henne.
- The Jaguars are sitting at 1-2 on the season for the fourth straight year.
- Maurice Jones-Drew now has 1,389 yards in 13 games against the Colts, averaging 107 yards per game and a touchdown against the AFC South foe.
- Blaine Gabbert the only Jaguars quarterback to ever beat the Colts three straight times and is only the Jaguars quarterback in their history with a winning record against the Colts.