This post is more just me putting my thoughts on paper regarding different things related to the NFL and the Jaguars in particular.
- So often I find myself way too caught up in "optimism" land and when reality strikes, it really kind of sucks. As I reflect on the report of Keim and Caldwell being the 2 GM finalists, I wonder whether Marc Ross and Tom Gamble were really optimistic, dream scenario candidates that would never go to Jacksonville. As I think about it though, I am not really so sure that is the case; Ross very well could still be in consideration and I see no reason to think he would not want to come here if it is his best offer. As for Gamble, I completely understand him wanting to come here to NY. Media circus be damned, this is still "the greatest city in the world" and the biggest stage. Also, his father was Eagles President when Buddy Ryan was HC, and Tom and Rex are buddies. Tom might find the ability to walk into a franchise and have a friend as HC to be a good and desirable thing.
- Having said the above, I consider the candidates named as finalists and cannot say I am upset with either one. Caldwell is currently working very closely with Thomas Dimitroff who has put together a phenomenal team in Atlanta. Whether the team is in the "win now" mode, or whether the Falcons are still built to contend in the future, Dimitroff (and Caldwell) have put together a winning team. Additionally, Caldwell grew up a Yankee fan which is a plus in my book. As for Keim, he has been working for a "subpar" team as of late, but that does not mean he is a bad candidate for the job. As is, the Cardinals actually have a fairly strong roster, and I might argue they are an O-line and QB away from being a contender in the NFC. The Cards have drafted well as of late and certainly have a strong core of defensive talent.
- As a fan not only of the Jaguars, but the NFL as a whole, I would like to see the following happen:
- Chip Kelly goes to Philadelphia - Maclin/D-Jax/McCoy(/Vick) is just such a perfect fit for Kelly in my opinion.
- Mike Lombardi and Jon Gruden to Cleveland - the Lombardi to CLE rumor has yet to be dispelled it seems appropriate to let him take another Raider great Jon Gruden with him to CLE. While I think Gruden is not the greatest of coaches, I actually think he can do a good job with Weeden and the Brown offense.
- Jay Gruden to San Diego - Keeping with the Gruden family, let Jay be the one to go to California. With the SD job, I find Gruden as intriguing options to come in and see if he can have greater success than Norv did with a good QB like Rivers.
- Dave Caldwell to Jaguars - I am only considering the two finalists Schefter named, because I really do trust him and believe it might be down to those two guys. With Caldwell I just see a guy who has worked his way up and has been a part of a successful organization. I think he might be the "base hit" selection for GM, but I also feel he is more likely to also end up as a "home-run". If I had tp pick a coaching staff, I would love the lazy choice of Greg Roman. I also would love to see Roman bring Geep Chryst as his offensive coordinator.
- Looking at today's slate of games, and disregarding my Jaguar allegiance, I would like to see Luck and the Colts win in Baltimore. I really like Luck and hope to see him become a great QB in the NFL, albeit with no success against the Jaguars. I also would like to see Washington win if only because I prefer to see my brother and brother-in-law happy with the 49ers winning it all, and SEA is the biggest NFC threat in my opinion, given just how hot they finished the season. Unfortunately, I think SEA and BAL end up winning.
- NHL IS BACK! No need to obsess over the NFL as much anymore!!