I'm hearing a little skuttlebutt in Jacksonville Radio about WR Matt Jones being a bust.
Here are the reasons why I'm starting to agree, in no particular order.
- No evidence of top end speed. Matt pulled a 4.3 40 in the combine. He's never ran that fast EVER in any sort.
- No toughness over the middle. He's shown an aversion to contact over the middle.
- Too Tall for Crisp Route-Running. Matt's a huge tall guy. But tall folks don't run the cleanest of routes.
- No Toughness in Downfield Blocking. Watch some film, he's a wuss when it comes to throwing the downfield block for the running game.
- Addiction to One-Handed catches. I coached a Sorority Flag Football team this year. One of the things I drilled on was the V-Face, emphasising the importance of getting two hands around the ball and making the catch. Matt, who demonstrated that he can't make a two handed catch to save his life, spends time in warmups and practice attempting one-handed catches.
This seems to be a trend in Jacksonville. We are showing a trend of not doing well with our first round picks, while showing a keen eye for late round picks. Jaguars.com Ask Vic observes
I'm two games away from declaring Jones a bust. Reggie, you're on notice as well, you could say just about everything about Matt about Reggie Williams as well. What's saving Reggie is that he's obviously got something going with Byron, who knows when he's coming back though.
What to do about Matt? BENCH HIM, make him earn his role. Give Cortez Hankton a shot.