Remember when I decided to take a preliminary guess at the position rankings? Well there is a big fat screw up in there.
I was referring to Ahmad Carroll being cut after getting into a spat with the law and how Sharon would be on his way out because of his problem.
But I was wrong.
The Jaguars are saying that Sharon was practicing with the first team and leading the charge in the underwear practices. Of course, this could be a way to motivate Matt Jones and Reggie Williams, but I like to think that they're emphasizing the open competition for the Wide Receivers. His position coach Todd Monken said that:
Vic Ketchman explains why Charles Sharon is an undrafted anomaly:
Of course, all of this could be nonsense as the defense is playing "touch" football, but I could be pretty damn happy if our starting trio of Wide Receivers were Sharon, Northcutt, and Wilford with the Rookies getting some time to acclimate to the game. I've got no particular attachment to Jones and Williams, and I'm realistic enough to know that their days are numbered if they don't perform as they're supposed to.
Here are the facts as we know it
- We have 10 wide receivers on the roster
- We will only have at most 6 come labor day
- No veteran player, other than Dennis Northcutt, has a contract that prohibits the team from cutting them
- Mike Walker will be on the roster come labor day
- There are seven players competing for four spots, including two first round picks.