Kickoff: 7:30pm August 23rd, 2008
Where: Raymond James Stadium, Tampa, FL
Weather: 84 degrees, 30% chance of rain
The third preseason game is probably the only one that comes close to justifying the ticket price. The starters should play well into the 3rd, perhaps even the 4th quarter. The Jaguars came out somewhat flat last week against the Dolphins, hopefully things will get better tonight. The Buccaneers are the defending NFC South champions, which is like saying you're the Spelling Bee Champ of the Special Ed class. Led by the man no one wants Jeff Garcia, Tampa comes in this season looking to make another playoff run.
Things to Watch for:Jacksonville Jaguars
1. David Garrard: Garrard has looked very average and inconsistent this preseason so far. Is it because of the injuries at WR, the play of the O-line, or did he do a little too much partying with that fat new contract over the offseason?
2. Wide Receivers: Matt Jones has helped his career out this camp and Pre-season, and so have alot of the other receivers. Mike Walker has dropped multiple TD catches and Troy Williamson has had a grand total of nothing.
3. Rashean Mathis: Face it, Mathis has not looked good at all the preseason. Last year he was up and down, and it has continued to now. Can he regain his 2006 Pro Bowl form?
4. Pass Rush: Can Reggie Hayward make a comeback? Can Quentin Groves be able to be effective?
Things to Watch For: Tampa Bay Buccaneers
1. Quarterbacks: Poor Jeff Garcia, all he does is help lead teams to the playoffs then they kick him out. It was close that it would be Brett Favre who would be starting tonight. The Bucs have a stable of QBs that they don't know what to do with.
2. Cadillac Williams- The Cadillac has had alot of parts break on him since the Bucs drafted him in the first round out of Auburn. Can he begin to put together a full years worth of games?
3. Aqib Talib- The Bucs first round pick at corner this year. There are the off the field issues with him, including the fight he was involved in at the rookie symposium. However, his physical gifts can't be denied.
4. Jon Gruden-After leading the Bucs to the Super Bowl, Chucky was on the hot seat until last season's division title. Can he keep it up?
Player on the Hot Seat
Williamson looked great in shorts practices, but has done nothing in game. With Porter, Williams, and Northcutt all assured a spot and Matt Jones and Mike Walker looking more impressive, he needs a big night tonight make it past the first round of cuts.
Hopefully last week light a fire under their asses and the Jags come out with purpose tonight. I expect to see better execution and the Jaguars not to be knocked around like the Dolphins did to them last week.
24-10 Jaguars when both teams starters get pulled.
PS, Hope everyone is safe from Fay or didn't sustain too much loss. Tallahassee is getting 3-4 inches a hour currently, the dorm downhill from mine has a good 6 inches of water around it.