The Jacksonville Jaguars enter the second week of organized team activities this week, with voluntary workouts on Tuesday, Thursday, and Friday this week. But what else is going on in Jacksonville?
Here is a recap of news, notes, insights, and more regarding the team in the past week or so.
- Jaguars starting cornerbacks A.J. Bouye and Jalen Ramsey were both named top-10 cornerbacks in the NFL — this is a surprise to absolutely nobody. The duo skipped OTAs last week, but that does not matter at all (Bouye returned this week).
- In addition to Jacksonville having the best cornerback duo in the league on its roster, NFL.com’s Gregg Rosenthal believes the Jaguars have the best defensive line in football. Yes, this defense is absolutely stacked.
- Jaguars first-round draft pick Taven Bryan is already making a good impression with his position coach, Marion Hobby, according to John Reid of the Florida-Times Union. Bryan is also already building up relationships with the veteran defensive linemen.
- It has only been a few OTA workouts, but Jaguars quarterback Blake Bortles has “no red flags,” and has looked impressive throwing the ball thus far. In fact, newly-signed All-Pro guard Andrew Norwell feels very strongly about Bortles.
- NFL.com analyst, and former NFL wide receiver, Nate Burleson released his top-10 second-year players for 2018. Jaguars running back Leonard Fournette checks in at No. 4 on the list.
- While Fournette had a relatively successful rookie campaign, his yards per carry left some people wanting more from the running back. Here’s Zach Goodall on why YPC is a flawed statistic. Additionally, Fournette faced the most eight-man boxes in the entire NFL.
- Mike Kaye of First Coast News talked to Abry Jones about how his early seasons in Jacksonville with little success help him appreciate the Jags’ turnaround even more.
- Jaguars owner Shad Khan has a lot of money — and just increased his net worth by more than $125 million thanks to his Fulham Soccer Club earning a spot in the Premier League. He is now worth a reported $7.3 billion!
- Jaguars all-time leading receiver Jimmy Smith sees big things in the future of rookie wide out D.J. Chark. He thinks Chark will be a “beast” for Jacksonville.
- Special teams coach Joe DeCamillis says the Jaguars (and the rest of the league) are in “uncharted territory” following several rule changes to kickoffs in the NFL.
More stories regarding OTAs:
- Five Jaguars players were sidelined at OTAs last week.
- The Jaguars are excited about Austin Seferian-Jenkins after watching him work at OTAs.
- Doug Marrone and the Jaguars coaching staff expect Cam Robinson to make a significant jump in his second year.
- Full Press Jaguars has some thoughts on Jacksonville’s offense following the first week of OTAs.
- Mike Kaye’s Jaguars Mailbag this week focuses on several positions following the first week of OTAs.
There is a lot of Jaguars talk right now with the excitement of OTAs and training camp inching closer and closer. Be sure to follow along with Big Cat Country for all of the updates.