Training camp week is here, which means actual football is right around the corner! Rookies and quarterbacks reported last week, while the remaining veterans report on Wednesday. The Jaguars will have their first practice session on Thursday, which is open to the public.
In the meantime, let’s recap everything you need to know from the past week. Here is the training camp edition of our weekly Jacksonville Jaguars news and notes roundup.
- Heading into training camp, here is everything you need to know about Jaguars players, coaches and storylines from A-to-Z.
- Tragic news. Minnesota Vikings offensive line coach Tony Sparano unexpectedly passed away over the weekend. Sparano was the tight ends coach for the Jaguars in 2002, and his son, Tony Sparano Jr., is the current assistant offensive line coach in Jacksonville.
- Jaguars defensive end Dante Fowler Jr. has not only been suspended for Week 1 of the NFL regular season, but he has also been placed on the Active/Physically Unable to Perform list to begin training camp. Calais Campbell shared his thoughts on the Fowler suspension.
- Gregg Rosenthal of NFL.com included Leonard Fournette in the top-10 of his 2018 running back rankings.
- Former NFL pass-rusher, and current NFL.com analyst, Willie McGinest named Yannick Ngakoue as one of five pass-rushers who will break out in 2018. Has he not done that yet?
- “Around The NFL” writer Herbie Teope has a training camp preview for the entire AFC South.
- Another NFL.com columnist, Adam Schein, listed Calais Campbell as one of the NFL’s most indispensable defenders.
- Malik Jackson thinks Jacksonville goes undefeated this year. That is probably crazy talk, but he wasn’t too far off with his prediction last year. Pete Prisco of CBS Sports doesn’t think Jackson’s claims are too far off, either.
- An ESPN insider roundtable was asked who the best NFL defender will be in 2021. NFL writer Matt Bowen picked Jalen Ramsey, while fellow NFL write K.C. Joyner chose A.J. Bouye.
- John Reid and Phillip Heilman from the Florida Times-Union gave their thoughts on five storylines to watch entering training camp.
- In case you forgot, Calais Campbell is a beast:
Calais Campbell: Unmatched versatility. All 5 OL will have to block him over the course of a game because he lines up 0-9 techniques. Has a litany of moves, but favors the club-swim/club-rip by far. This compilation doesn't include his devastating bull-rush or impact on stunts: pic.twitter.com/t2qHfax3f4— Brandon Thorn (@VeteranScout) July 22, 2018
- Interested in who will be speaking to the media during the first week of training camp? Check it out:
Podium schedule for beginning of #JAXCamp18:— Tad Dickman (@TDickman89) July 22, 2018
• 12:15pm // HC Marrone & LB @TelvinSmith_22
• 9:15am // HC Marrone
• 1pm // QB Blake Bortles & DE @dantefowler
• 1pm // CB @jalenramsey & WR @Air4Cole
• 5:30pm // HC Marrone
• 9pm // DE @Campbell93
The Jaguars have a busy week ahead. Be sure to keep up with Big Cat Country for everything going on during the first week of training camp.