The Jacksonville Jaguars have reached the end of Week 9, which is their bye week and the mid-season point for many NFL teams. It’s been a hell of a ride so far with rookie quarterback Gardner Minshew leading the team to a 4-5 record, but recently signed Nick Foles is looking to get back under center and squeeze out enough wins to chase the AFC Wild Card spot.
How does the playoff picture look as we head into an important stretch for this team? Let’s take a look.
Week 9 AFC playoff picture
1. New England Patriots, first place, AFC East (8-1) — The AFC’s lone undefeated team lost to a Baltimore Ravens team who looks like they could challenge the old guard better than any team of the past decade.
2. Baltimore Ravens, first place, AFC North (6-2) — Lamar Jackson is a gift and we should treat him as such.
5. Buffalo Bills, second place, AFC East (6-2) — The biggest surprise of the AFC so far. Josh Allen isn’t terrible and that defense is good!
6. Indianapolis Colts, second place, AFC South (5-3) — Without starting quarterback Jacoby Brissett, this final Wild Card spot is up for grabs.
Still in the hunt
7. Pittsburgh Steelers (4-4)
8. Oakland Raiders (4-4)
9. Jacksonville Jaguars (4-5)
10. Tennessee Titans (4-5)
11. Los Angeles Chargers (4-5)
As you can see, the Jaguars are just 1.5 games out of the final Wild Card spot and have five of their final seven games against teams either in the playoff hunt or projected to get a playoff spot. It’s well within reach, but they’ll have to likely win each of those five games (and sneak a win against one of either the Tampa Bay Buccaneers or Atlanta Falcons) to have a shot at the postseason.