It’s April, which means we have officially entered NFL Draft month! That means rumors are abundant and hot takes are heating up regarding what the Jacksonville Jaguars may do at No. 7 overall and throughout the duration of the event.
The Jaguars have also been busy re-signing familiar faces, working out some new players and bringing in depth pieces. Let’s review some of the most recent Jags news and notes:
- Doug Pederson, Nick Foles’ former head coach in Philadelphia (and offensive coordinator in Kansas City), had very high praise for Foles. Pederson called his former quarterback a “great person” and a “great leader” at the 2019 NFL Annual Meeting.
- The Jaguars offseason program dates have been announced: Voluntary offseason workouts begin April 15. Organized Team Activities start on May 21 and mandatory minicamp is scheduled for June 11-13.
- The Jaguars signed former Houston Texans running back Alfred Blue to a one-year deal after bringing him in for a visit. Blue joins Nick Foles (QB), Cedric Ogbuehi (OT), Jake Ryan (LB), Chris Conley (WR) and Geoff Swaim (tight end) as the newest additions in Duval.
- The Jaguars have also signed another running back today — Benny Cunningham. Cunningham provides more depth in the backfield and also has experience returning kicks.
- Jacksonville has been re-signing a lot of its offensive lineman from last season. Most recently, the Jaguars have decided to bring back offensive tackle Josh Wells for depth. The team also recently re-signed backup center Tyler Shatley and starting right guard A.J. Cann. The front office also decided to bring back tight end James O’Shaughnessy.
- We finally have some clarity into wide receiver Marqise Lee’s recovery timetable, and he may not be available until late in the preseason — but sounds on track to be available for Week 1.
- Yours truly joined the Locked On Jaguars podcast with Zach Goodall. We talked about Alfred Blue, first-round needs, and one of my personal favorite prospects, Michigan State cornerback Justin Layne. You can listen to it here.
- Jaguars fans are fairly optimistic about the 2019 season outlook, and 95 percent of FanPulse voters think the team is in a better position following free agency.
- The 2019 Jacksonville Jaguars draft hats are here. What do you think?
- Via News4JAX, The Jaguars are projected to win eight games in 2018, according to a Las Vegas oddsmaker, CG Technology. Every AFC South team was projected at least eight wins, though.
- The Jaguars are reportedly “very interested” in Mississippi tight end Dawson Knox.
- Recapping former Jaguars first round picks: Who is your favorite? Who had the best career? Who was most disappointing?
- Nick Foles gives the Jaguars the quarterback consistency they were missing.
Mock Draft season in full swing:
- Tom Fornelli, CBS Sports: Interesting — Jaguars receive and extra first-round pick by trading No. 7 overall to the Green Bay Packers, who select Alabama DL Quinnen Williams. The Jaguars then take Clemson edge rusher Clelin Ferrrell at No. 12 overall and Iowa tight end Noah Fant at No. 30 overall selections.
- Todd McShay and Mel Kiper Dueling Mock Draft, ESPN (Insider Access): Both agree on Florida offensive tackle Jawaan Tayor in Round 1, but Kiper mocks Washington safety Taylor Rapp to Jacksonville in Round 2, while McShay goes with wide receiver N’Keal Harry out of Arizona State.
- Charles Davis Mock Draft 2.0, NFL.com: Jawaan Taylor, OT, Florida
- Head-to-Head mock with Steve Palazzolo and Mike Renner, Pro Football Focus: D.K. Metcalf, WR, Ole Miss
- Chad Reuter Four-Round Mock Draft, NFL.com: Jawaan Taylor, OT, Florida (Round 1); Chauncey Gardner-Johnson, S, Florida (Round 2); Miles Sanders, RB, Penn State (Round 3); Foster Moreau, TE, LSU (Round 4)
- Mel Kiper Mock Draft 3.0, ESPN (Insider Access): Jawaan Taylor, OT Florida
According to SB Nation’s Mock Draft Database, Taylor is the consesus pick for the Jaguars at No. 7 overall, with D.K. Metcalf in second.