Each year the day before the NFL Draft I usually do a post with the ancillary rumors and things I’m hearing from some sources, most of it is unconfirmed and probably nonsense, but it’s still fun to talk about in a purely hypothetical capacity. I didn’t do it last season because there was just so much in the air most of it seemed way too off the wall to be interesting.
This season however, with the Jacksonville Jaguars picking seventh overall in the 2019 NFL Draft it makes a little bit more sense. So, here’s a few things I am hearing from various avenues that are not confirmed and pure rumor. I will notate what is my opinion/spin.
- Iowa’s T.J. Hockenson is the No. 1 TE on the Jaguars board, which is believable and the fact that this was told to me so matter of fact it makes me lean towards Hockenson not being the pick at No. 7. That’s just my personal belief, though.
- The Jaguars are really hoping that one of the premier defensive players like Quinnen Williams or Josh Allen slide to them.
- If one of the premier defensive players does not fall to the Jaguars they want to slide down a few spots in the draft because the player quality gap from No. 7 to No. 15 or so isn’t big, if at all.
- If the Jaguars are stuck at No. 7, it’s probably going to be Alabama OT Jonah Williams. Everyone is pegging Jawaan Taylor because he’s a mauler in the run game, but the Jaguars didn’t pay Nick Foles $88 million and hire John DeFilippo to run the ball 40 times a game. Think more athletic RT type like Lane Johnson and the Philadelphia Eagles style offense that is more a 60/40 pass/run split. I highlighted the Williams connection earlier this week, plus he is a maniac when it comes to game prep.
- Pass rusher is something the team really wants to upgrade, so expect someone in the first three rounds. Michigan’s Chase Winovich would make a ton of sense in Round 2.
- The team is happy with what they have currently at wide receiver. Take that however you want.
- Despite the fact that the team signed Thomas Rawls, Alfred Blue and Benny Cunningham don’t be surprised if a running back is picked before Day 3.
- There are a couple of Day 3 quarterbacks the team would be fine with to take as potential long term backups, two names mentioned directly were Jared Stidham and Gardner Minshew.