What if Khan could go back to 12/31/12 and make a wish?
On December 31, 2012, the Jacksonville Jaguars had just wrapped up a 2-14 season - Khan's first season as owner. 2012 was the worst season in franchise history (until 2020), and the 7 home losses in Jacksonville in 2012 remains a franchise record. Gene Smith was largely to blame. Khan made the right move: he fired Smith, who had been GM since 2009 (and Director of College Scouting in years prior).
What happened over the next 8-and-a-half years since is regrettable.
- 1/8/13 - Dave Caldwell hired as GM
- 1/17/13 - Gus Bradley hired as Head Coach
- 2013-2016 - Jaguars 14-48 (.226) in 4 seasons
- 1/9/17 - Removed interim tag from Doug Marrone as Head Coach
- 1/9/17 - Tom Coughlin hired as EVP of Football Operations
- 2017 - Jaguars surprising run (10-6 season led by defense)
- 2018-2020 - Jaguars 12-36 (.250) in 3 seasons
- 1/14/21 - Urban Meyer hired as Head Coach
- 1/20/21 - Trent Baalke promoted to GM
- 2020-Present: 20 consecutive losses (2nd-longest losing streak in NFL history)
Jags Alternate Universe
1/8/13 - Andy Reid hired as Head Coach
- Yes, he was fired by the Eagles on the same day we fired Mike Mularkey (12/31/12)
- Yes, he was available and the Jaguars were rumored as a possible landing spot
- Yes, Khan has enough money (and the benefit of today's knowledge) to offer him whatever it would have taken
1/8/13 - Chris Ballard hired as GM
- Yes, he was ready to be a GM
- Yes, his resume at that time was not all that different from Caldwell's (just a few years less experience)
- Yes, we have a freakin' time machine
2013 - 2017: Re-Drafting just 7 Picks*
*I'd do more, but this further illustrates how important the Draft is
- 13 - Travis Kelce (over Johnathan Cyprien)
- 14 - Davante Adams (over Marqise Lee)
- 15 - Stefon Diggs (over Rashad Greene)
- 16 - Derrick Henry (over Myles Jack)
- 17 - Tyreek Hill (over Sheldon Day)
- 17 - Pat Mahomes (over Leonard Fournette)
- 17 - Alvin Kamara (over Cam Robinson)
21 Jags (Alternate Universe)
- HC - Andy Reid
- GM - Chris Ballard
- QB - Pat Mahomes
- RBA - Derrick Henry
- RBB - Alvin Kamara
- WR (X) - Davante Adams
- WR (Z) - Stefon Diggs
- WR (Slot) - Tyreek Hill
- TE - Travis Kelce
Bad decisions on leadership and bad drafting have gotten us here.
Urban Meyer and Trent Baalke don't look to be very good at this. I know it's early, but aside from the shenanigans, here are our rookie contributions (outside of the most obvious #1 overall selection in Trevor Lawrence).
We aren't any closer to building a sustainable winner now than we were during the 2018 season or even the 2012 season for that matter. Other than having Trevor Lawrence. We don't have a time machine. We need a regime that focuses on what matters: drafting and developing talent.
Here's to hoping Meyer-Baalke regime's first class is just off to a slow start.