The Jacksonville Jaguars are in the media this week, but not in the ways most fans would expect or prefer. Per an ESPN report from Michael DiRocco, the team is listed as a co-defendant in a lawsuit by two women against former Jaguars kicker Brandon McManus.
Two women are suing kicker Brandon McManus and the Jacksonville Jaguars, alleging that McManus sexually assaulted them during the team's overseas flight to London last year. https://t.co/zlOM5qZGQO
— NFL on ESPN (@ESPNNFL) May 27, 2024
According to the lawsuit, the two women were employed by Atlas Air Worldwide Holdings and worked as flight attendants on the Jaguars’ September 28, 2023, chartered flight to London and the returning trip to the States. The plaintiffs allege that the flight “quickly turned into a party” as McManus (then a Jaguars player) and several other players “disregarded the flight attendants’ personal space, air travel safety, and federal law,” DiRocco reported.
Per the report:
The two women — identified as Jane Doe I and Jane Doe II in the lawsuit filed Friday night in Duval County Circuit Civil Court — accuse McManus of rubbing himself against them and grinding against them. They also accuse the Jaguars of failing to supervise McManus and failing to create a safe environment for staff serving the team. They're seeking in excess of $1 million and are demanding a jury trial.
As for the details of the allegations, the report states the following:
Doe I accuses McManus of trying to kiss her while she was seated during a session of turbulence and twice grinding up against her while she was serving the flight's two meal services, per the lawsuit. Doe I alleges during the first assault she made eye contact with another Jaguars player, whom she said looked ashamed of McManus' behavior.
Doe II alleges that McManus grinded up against her while she was serving the flight's second meal service. Per the lawsuit, Doe II confronted McManus, who "smirked and walked away." The lawsuit says Doe II remained in the aircraft's second story to avoid McManus on the team's flight from London to Jacksonville on Oct. 8.
The two plaintiffs are represented by Tony Buzbee, who represented the many women who accused Cleveland Browns QB Deshaun Watson of sexual misconduct. Buzbee released the following statement:
"Our efforts at resolution were met with arrogance, ignorance and stupidity, strikingly similar to how Deshaun Watson's team responded when we tried to resolve those cases pre-filing. The allegations made in this lawsuit are very serious. We made sure to fully vet them and speak to witnesses before even taking the cases. We will pursue this case with the same tenacity we are known for."
After a rough ending to his 2023 season, McManus' contract was not extended by the team this off-season. While making 30 of 37 of his field goal attempts last season, he started the year by making 100% of his attempted kicks in nine of his first 10 games. However, he would finish the season, going perfect in only two of his final six games with kicks attempted. After missing five of his seven field goals to close out the season, he was signed to a one-year contract by the Washington Commanders.
The Commanders released the following statement after news of the lawsuit was made public:
"Earlier today, we were made aware of the civil lawsuit filed on May 24 against Brandon McManus. We take allegations of this nature very seriously and are looking into the matter. We have been in communication with the League Office and Brandon's representation, and will reserve further comment at this time."
McManus' attorney, Brett R. Gallaway, provided the following statement on Monday night:
"These are absolutely fictitious and demonstrably false allegations made as part of a campaign to defame and disparage a talented and well-respected NFL player. We intend to aggressively defend Brandon's rights and integrity and clear his name by showing what these claims truly are -- an extortion attempt."
Lastly, the following statement was released by the Jaguars:
"We're aware of the complaint, and we acknowledge the significance of the claims. As we continue to look into the matter, it bears emphasizing that we insist on an organization built by people who represent our community and game with the highest character and class."
Between the recent Amit Patel theft of $22 million from the team, the accompanying FanDuel recoup of funds lawsuit, this litigation, the stadium naming rights, and the future stadium negotiations with the City of Jacksonville, and the former employee sex offender who hacked the jumbotrons being convicted it has without a doubt been a pretty busy offseason for the Jaguars’ legal counsel and public relations team. This is all after the season of Urban Meyer turmoil and litigation and the Tom Coughlin NFLPA prior issues. I'm sure the team is looking forward to the biggest headlines being related to the play on the field in the near future.
Update:
The Commanders have now released K Brandon McManus.
— Field Yates (@FieldYates) June 2, 2024
Loading comments...